There's no better time to talk about Ayurveda than right now. Not only the AYUSH Ministry but also the Supreme Court has concluded that certain Ayurvedic medicines are effective immunity boosters against the COVID-19 viruses. With the recent EMR report suggesting that the country's Ayurvedic market size will grow at a CAGR of 15% between 2020 and 2025, it's about time that we took a long and hard look at this 5000-year-old science that has solutions for all your health concerns.
Your sedentary lifestyle, lack of immunity and overdependence on western medicines are some of the reasons that are impeding you from being healthy during this pandemic. However, Ayurveda is one such healing science that aids you to have a healthy and happy life without making significant changes in your lifestyle. It discourses you to have an understanding of your 'Prakriti' (your body type based on the doshas - bodily elements – Kapha, Pitta and Vata) and make minor lifestyle tweaks based on that. There are Ayurvedic solutions to promote energy and stamina, improve immunity, reduce joint pains, manage blood sugar levels and provide relief from indigestion, but not many are aware of the extensive detoxification procedures Ayurveda has on offer. Let's delve deep into the ancient science of Ayurveda to understand some of the methods that help you cleanse inside out and help you keep your weight in check.
Panchakarma - A pleasurable and therapeutic experience
Panchakarma, as the name suggests, is a five-step procedure that helps to remove toxins and other impurities from your body. It helps maintain the overall health of a person by following the principles of personal hygiene, which includes the Daily Regime and Seasonal Regime. Celebs such as Katy Perry, Gwyneth Paltrow and Isabel Lucas swear by its slew of benefits. The five procedures - Vamana karma (Emesis therapy), Virechana karma (Purgation therapy), Nasya karma (Nasal insufflation), Basti karma (Enema therapy) and Raktamokshana (Bloodletting) - are designed to cleanse your body from head-to-toe thoroughly and leave you feeling rejuvenated and pure.
- Vamana Karma (Emesis therapy): This process eliminates wastes (vitiated dosha), significantly augmented Kapha, through the gastrointestinal track. It helps remove the excess fat along with the impurities in your system.
- Virechana karma (Purgation therapy): Virechana is the process of removing weakened doshas through the rectum. It helps to detox kidneys, lungs and sweat glands effectively. This method is also useful in cleansing organs in the mid-zone of the body that are Pitta dominant, such as small intestine, liver and gall bladder.
- Nasya karma (Nasal insufflations): The process of administering the drugs through the nostrils is called Nasya. It cleanses and opens the channels of the head and improves the oxygenation (prana) that have a direct and highly beneficial influence on the brain functioning.
- Basti Karma (Enema therapy): Basti is specially designed to remove the augmented Vata component. In this particular method, medicated decoction and oils are deposited through the anus with the help of specially made Basti instruments. Properly administered Basti hydrates the inner mucus membrane of the intestine and helps tone its muscles. This process rejuvenates the body, provides strength and long life, and improves the complexion and the voice.
- Raktamokshana (Bloodletting): Rakta means blood and mokshan means to remove, so Raktamokshana means removing vitiated blood from the body, thereby curing various skin diseases. This treatment is not based on the doshas.
Detoxification through Ayurvedic herbs and supplements
Panchakarma might be the most established detoxification method in Ayurveda; however, there are more straightforward, less strenuous and even less time-consuming procedures that provide similar results. Zandu has multiple products that help eliminate toxins from your body, such as Zandu Punarnava and Zandu Health Detox (Jaatiphalrasadi Churna). We have recently introduced detox kits that focus on specific health concerns and provide exceptional results.
Zandu Medorasayan – is a detox kit specially designed with products that not only remove toxins from your body but also help remove excess fat.
Zandu Punarnava, Zandu Digestive Stimulant (Pachan Vati) and Zandu Aloe vera + 5 Herbs Health Juice to help you in your process of rediscovery. Vrikshamla or Garcinia Cambogia contains high amounts of hydroxycitric acid (HCA), which is known to be useful in weight management. Punarnava is an excellent diuretic; hence, it promotes kidney detox and works as an immunomodulator. Pachan Vati improves digestion and avoids the formation of AMA and fat accumulation, while Aloe Vera juice works as a digestive and laxative, and it is useful in detoxifying. So this kit efficiently helps you to get rid of impurities from your body including excess fat and leaves you feeling revitalized, clean and healthy.