Ayurveda cooking utensils play a massive role in our life.
They are organic and made with natural raw materials such as clay, silver, Copper, brass, and gold. All of them have specific good properties that make your food tasty and healthy.
If you replace these utensils with your regular non-stick cookware, you will see a drastic change in your body, and it will also help cure your health issues because of their good properties.
A study published in an International Journal of Research (AYUSH and Allied Systems) mentioned that non-stick cookware had put negative impact on your health because it is coated with harmful chemicals and the compound Perfluorooctanoic Acid or Teflon.
Both chemical compounds may promote cancer in your body.
Noticeably, people easily buy non-stick cookware because of convenience and easily cleans, etc.
We suggest avoiding these chemical-loaded utensils and switching to Ayurveda cooking utensils.
Ayurveda has consistently promoted the use of raw, pure and old things. Ancient science prioritizes the use of natural materials for eating and drinking utensils, such as bronze, gold, silver and copper. Zandu has also researched on copper bottle benefits when it comes to drinking water.
So you should copper accessories in your kitchen for better well-being and a healthy lifestyle.
List of Top 10 Ayurveda Cooking Utensils
1. Gold Utensils
It is a non-reactive metal with many good properties and a highly durable metal that cannot harm your health, and it has many benefits and is also suitable for our bodies.
When food comes into contact with gold, its minute particles have positively affected the body. Gold is also known as the Satvik metal in Ayurveda, which means pure or worthy.
It also balances the doshas (Pitta, Vata, and Kapha), solves the problems of skin issues, and improves the body's vital energy with overall well-being.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties. If you take food and beverage in gold utensils, then it will cure the inflammation of the body.
- Gold helps increase the body's energy flow.
- It interacts with the digestive system's enzymes and acids, improving digestion.
- It helps with memory power.
- It gives a cooling and calm effect on the nervous system.
- Wash these utensils with your hand with lukewarm water and mild dish soap.
- Store these utensils in a dry place to protect them from any oxidation.
2. Silverware Utensils
Silver is considered one of the best utensils for Antimicrobial properties, which remove all the bacteria and fungi in our food.
It helps in preserving the freshness and quality of food. The cooling effects of silver balance the temperature of food and beverages and give a refreshing sensation.
Silver is the best option for those with metal allergies; they can replace their regular utensils with silver utensils. It also increases blood circulation and cures the problem of acidity.
- Better hygiene and reduced the risk of food poisoning.
- It can improve the better taste.
- It has better heat conductivity and will keep your food warm.
- Silver can react with acidic foods such as citrus food or egg and cause a metallic taste.
- Make sure that you wash your utensils with mild soap.
- Store these utensils in non-reactive-environment to prevent oxidation
- Avoid using acidic natural ingredients in it.
3. Copper Utensils
In a study published in the National Library of Medicine, Copper and its brass and bronze alloys can kill potentially deadly bacteria; it works as a self-sanitiser. Not just that, copper is also useful in weight loss process.
You can use Copper utensil for a long year because it has antimicrobial properties and remains effective over a long time. These utensils keep your food warm for a time.
In addition, Copper is a sustainable and eco-friendly material - It can be melted down and reused repeatedly, making these utensils a good choice.
According to our perspective, if you use copper vessels for storing water, then it will be beneficial for your health because the alkaline water balances the pH level and provides and provides antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. We've also listed difference between copper bottle & stainless steel.
- It has better heat conductivity.
- Keeps your food safety and hygiene.
- Better thermal conductivity.
- It gives you a better immune system
- Don't store alkaline or acidic food in copper vessels.
- If you see any reactions or allergies after using this, please avoid them.
Please note, Zandu also offers copper tongue clear and we suggest to check quality.
4. Kanza Utensils
Also known as bronze utensils, a Kanza metal is made with a combination of Copper and tin.
Like others, Kanza utensils have so many Ayurveda benefits, such as balancing doshas in our body (Pitta, Vata and Kapha). The combination of copper and tin helps in improving digestion.
Making food with these utensils is considered in providing a rich taste and relaxing your mind.
These Utensils also provide better heat conductivity, durability and longevity.
- It gives natural detoxification and removes all the toxins from the body.
- These utensils are made from sustainable materials like bamboo or stainless steel.
- You can easily carry these utensils because they are lightly weighted.
- Make sure that you clean these utensils with milled soap.
- Dry it before storing it because it can promote the bacteria.
- Please don't use these utensils in the oven because they have high heat sensitivity.
5. Clay Pots & Utensils
These utensils are also known as earthen pots or clay cookware, made with natural, non-toxic, and chemical-free ingredients.
Clay does not have any harmful substances; you can use these utensils safely.
They are porous, which means they have thousands of tiny pores on their surface, so when you cook food in clay pots, the heat temperature promoted inside the utensil can slowly come out through the pores, and the temperature of the food inside never gets too high or all the nutrients of our food retained, and it keeps your food warm for a long time too.
You can also use clay tawa; it gives the earthy flavour to chapati and has so many natural properties which give you a healthy and tasty meal.
- These pots make your food delicious.
- You can also use a clay pot for storing and drinking water; it is the best option for summers; if you keep a clay pot at a hot temperature, the water is still cool inside.
- It has an alkaline Ph level which can help to reduce the acidity problem
- These utensils are biodegradable, reducing the environmental impact and making these utensils an eco-friendly choice.
- It gives you complete nutritious food.
- When buying these clay pots, don't start using them right away. First, soak them for twenty-four hours, remove them from the water, dry them thoroughly, and rub their outer and inner surface with mild coating cooking oil; this process is called seasoning.
- These pots can easily break; when you remove them from the stove, don't put them directly on the slap; you can place them on a cloth or an iron ring instead of a marble surface.
- Avoid cooking acidic or salty foods like tomatoes and citrus fruits; these ingredients are unsuitable for clay pots.
6. Coconut Shell Bowl & Utensils
The coconut shell bowl is the traditional Indian system of medicine as it contains many natural properties.
The shell is made from the unutilized shells of coconut, which is entirely sustainable and organic. These shells give you a cooling effect that balances the pitta dosha in your body.
According to Ayurveda, you can serve food and beverages in this shell bowl that gives you heating effects on your body, as this shell contains a cooling nature.
Consuming the food in this shell can solve the problem of digestive fire; you can add this shell bowl to your bucket list.
- Biodegradable and cannot harm the environment.
- It gives a mindful eating experience.
- These bowls are not made with chemicals and keep your food healthy and hygienic.
- According to health experts, shell bowls are suitable for the stomach and cure digestive problems.
- It maintains your cholesterol level.
- Make sure that you clean your bowl after eating your meal.
- Those who have an allergy to coconut can avoid using it.
- Before buying the shell, please consult an Ayurveda specialist and then buy according to your health condition.
7. Stainless Steel Cookware
It is the most-used and budget-friendly metal in any Indian Kitchen.
According to Ayurveda, it is one of the best options for cooking purposes.
This stainless steel cookware is non-reactive materials like iron or other metal, such as nickel – Which means it won’t react or damage the food.
Also, they have better heat conductivity. These utensils are well known for their durability and solve the problem of corrosion and rust. You can use this cookware for several purposes, like boiling and pressure cooking. Compared to other cookware, these utensils can also easily wash in a dishwasher; add these utensils to your kitchen and healthy your digestive system.
- These utensils have an excellent hygienic material that can kill all food bacteria.
- It gives a unique touch to your kitchen.
- Lightweight; you can easily handle them.
- These utensils are wholly sustainable and made with natural materials; you can make them an eco-friendly choice.
- Make sure you choose good quality of this utensils and avoid coated cookware with harmful chemicals.
- Before cooking, wash your utensils with mild soap and warm water.
- Dry it with a cotton cloth before making the food.
- Choose a good quality vegetable or olive oil to make your food tasty and healthy.
- Apply a mild layer of oil with the help of an oil brush.
- Remove excess oil to keep your food healthy.
8. Stoneware Cookware
According to Ayurveda, stoneware is an excellent choice for cooking.
It uses ceramic and dense clay-based material with natural clay minerals. Stoneware has excellent thermal conductivity properties, distributing the heat evenly, making your food at a suitable temperature and giving you a balanced meal.
It doesn't contain harmful chemicals such as cadmium or PFOA and keeps your food safe and hygienic. The surface of stoneware naturally reduces the fat and oil from your food. In addition, it is non-reactive cookware which can’t react with food.
As per personal experience, you can safely add this to your kitchen and make your happy meal with it.
- You can use this for baking purposes; it can quickly bake any cake.
- It is the best option if you want to roast any ingredient in it.
- You can use this utensil in the microwave.
- Easily clean with any mild soap.
- It has long-lasting durability.
- Before using these utensils, wash them with lukewarm water, then dry them thoroughly.
- Avoid using sudden temperature changes; don't transfer from oven to stove; it can break your utensils.
- The surface of stoneware gets extremely hot, so don't forget to use potholders.
- After making your meal, cool the stoneware in cold water.
Ayurveda gives us new roots to live our lives in a new way and promotes balance and harmony in our food preparation methods.
These utensils increase the nutritional value of a meal and contribute to overall well-being.
Using Ayurveda cooking utensils such as clay pots, copper vessels, silver, and gold improves vital energy and balances all three doshas in our bodies, so add these magic utensils to your kitchen and keep your health good and safe.
What are the recommended utensils for cooking according to Ayurveda?
Ayurveda suggests using specific utensils for cooking. Here are 7 recommended ones:
- Clay pots (earthenware)
- Cast iron pans
- Stainless steel cookware
- Copper vessels (lined with tin or stainless steel)
- Brass utensils (for specific ingredients)
- Wooden cooking utensils
- Glassware for storage (Read more on copper and glass bottle)
Why are clay pots preferred in Ayurvedic cooking?
Clay pots are favoured in Ayurvedic cooking due to their natural properties. They help in even heat distribution, retaining nutrients, and adding an earthy flavour to the food. Clay also imparts a cooling effect, making it suitable for balancing Pitta dosha.
What benefits do cast iron pans offer in Ayurvedic cooking?
Cast iron pans provide excellent heat retention and even distribution. They help in increasing the iron content in food, which can be beneficial for individuals with iron deficiencies.
Why is stainless steel cookware recommended?
Stainless steel cookware is known for its durability, easy maintenance, and non-reactive nature. It is suitable for cooking a variety of dishes without affecting the taste or properties of ingredients. Stainless steel is considered compatible with all doshas.
What role do copper vessels play in Ayurvedic cooking?
Copper vessels are believed to have antimicrobial properties and aid in balancing the doshas, especially Pitta. However, they should be lined with tin or stainless steel to prevent excessive copper absorption, which can be harmful in large quantities.
When are brass utensils used in Ayurvedic cooking?
Brass utensils are used for specific ingredients in Ayurvedic cooking. For instance, brass is commonly used for boiling milk as it helps retain its nutritional properties. However, acidic or citrus-based ingredients should not be cooked in brass vessels.