Pimples are the most common problem in today's youth.
Majorly at 15-18 of age.
During the stage of adolescence, hormonal changes occur. This problem also happens with a bad lifestyle when we eat that doesn't come directly from mother nature such as namkeen, biscuits, tea, coffee, and packaged food.
So it's challenging for our bodies to digest and eliminate this food, because this waste food travels through our blood and reaches our skin, we call it pimples or acne.
Today's generation needs to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
According to the Journal of Natural & Ayurvedic Medicines, around 95% of youths face this chronic inflammatory disease. These pimples also occur with stress and increasing pollution.
According to Ayurveda, acne, known as the Mukhadushika, is a chronic inflammation, particularly on the face and back of the body. These conditions also occur when imbalances in the body doshas, particularly pitta and Kapha, will increase the problem of acne/pimples.
As Baba Ramdev says, you can cure your acne problems with the help of Ayurveda. While doing bhastrika pranayam, do at least 5 minutes in the morning and kapalbhati or Anulom Vilom for around 15 minutes.
Below are Pimple types & Ayurveda remedies to treat at home.
List of Top 12 Pimple Treatments in Ayurveda for Oily & Dry skin
Image Source: Pexels
Turmeric is loaded with anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antifungal, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties. Curcumin is an active ingredient found in turmeric that helps to treat several skin conditions, including pimples. Application of turmeric to the skin can help in the treatment of acne scars, acne, dull skin, and hyperpigmentation.
You just need to make a smooth paste with water and turmeric powder and put that on your skin. After the paste dries, rinse it off with lukewarm water, and dry your skin. You can use honey instead of water if you have dry skin.
- You need to make a smooth paste with water and turmeric powder and put that on your skin.
- After the paste dries, rinse it with lukewarm water, and dry your skin.
- You can use honey instead of water if you have dry skin.
- Don't leave this paste for an extended period will lead to skin discolouration or staining.
Neem is a next great treatment for pimples because it comes with antibacterial and antioxidant properties. Neem can effectively fight off Staphylococcus epidermidis and Propionibacterium, which are both bacteria that feed off sebum. In fact, neem paste can reduce acne and even lighten acne scars.
You need to take about ten to fifteen fresh neem leaves and boil them in water until the water gets reduced to half. Keep this mixture in the refrigerator and drink it right in the morning. You can also make a mix of neem paste and fuller’s earth to apply on your face.
- You need to take about ten to fifteen fresh neem leaves, wash them with normal water, and then boil them until the water gets reduced to half.
- Keep this mixture in the refrigerator and drink it right in the morning.
- You can also apply a mix of neem paste and fuller's earth on your face.
- Make sure to dilute your paste and apply it on your face; otherwise, it may irritate you.
3. Basil or Tulsi
Image Source: Pexels
Basil comes with anti-acne properties that can help to enhance skin texture. Apart from fighting off the bacteria called Propionibacterium acnes, it is also known to combat skin dryness to make it smoother. Basil can be made into a face pack or consumed to reduce pimples.
Take two tulsi leaves and wash them thoroughly. Now, chew them and wash them down with water. Keep doing it every day on an empty stomach in the morning and you will see results within ten days. Also, you can make a mix of basil leaves and fuller’s earth to apply on your face.
- Take two tulsi leaves and wash them thoroughly.
- Now, chew them and wash them down with water.
- Keep doing it daily on an empty stomach in the morning, and you will see results within ten days.
- Also, apply a mix of basil leaves and fuller's earth to your face.
- Excessive use of this remedy may cause adverse effects on your skin, so don't over-apply.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera comes with anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties that are very effective for treating pimples. As a matter of fact, it can be a great cure for mild to moderate acne.
You can simply cut open one fresh Aloe Vera leaf and put the fresh gel over pimples and acne. Or, you can make a mixture of Aloe Vera gel and water with a bit of lime juice to drink once in the evening and morning.
- You can cut open one fresh Aloe Vera leaf and put the new gel over pimples and acne.
- Also, you can make a mixture of Aloe Vera gel and water with lime juice to drink once in the evening and morning.
- Avoid using aloe vera in plastic bottles; it will harm your skin; choose an organic plant over market products.
Image Source: Pixabay
Both white and red sandalwood can be a great natural medicine for pimples. It comes with anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidative properties. Sandalwood is applied externally to cure skin wounds, psoriasis, and pimples. However, it is advisable for you to do a patch test before widely applying it over your skin. Some people tend to have an allergic reaction to sandalwood.
You will easily find sandalwood powder at a store near you. Mix that with a bit of water to create a thick paste and apply it over your pimples.
- Mix that with some water to create a thick paste, and apply it over your pimples, as it has cooling properties which can reduce the redness of acne.
- Leave to set this paste for at least 20 minutes. It works like magic.
- Ensure your Sandalwood powder is original; otherwise, it will affect your skin.
- Avoid using sandalwood powder if you are allergic to it.
Honey has antibacterial and antiseptic qualities, making it an excellent fit for your pimple and acne-prone skin. Its antibacterial properties can inhibit more than sixty different types of bacteria.
- Dip a small cotton ball or a Q-tip in honey and put it over your pimples.
- Use lukewarm water to wash the honey off after half an hour.
- Store honey in a glass jar, not in plastic, as it will create bacteria, and keep your honey jar in a cool or dry area.
- Make sure that you choose organic honey to apply to your face.
- Don't overapply this paste to your face; it may irritate you.
Image Source: Pexels
Papaya is a potent source of antioxidants like beta-carotene and lycopene. You would be surprised to know that papaya seed extracts have antioxidants that are more potent than vitamin C. Since papaya can reduce toxin build up in the body, it can protect the skin from sudden acne flare-ups.
- There are two ways to use papaya for pimples.
- You can either use a papaya mash on your skin on alternate days or eat half a bowl of the fruit as a snack on alternate days of treatment.
- Do not apply unripe papaya; it contains harsh substances called latex, which may unbalance the digestive system and it will impact your skin.
Fenugreek seeds' antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties can help protect and soothe the skin. It is an excellent natural salicylic acid source that can help clear clogged pores. Now, you will have to consume fenugreek to treat your pimples.
- Soak about two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds overnight in 400 ml of water.
- Strain this water and drink it every morning on an empty stomach.
- You can add a bit of teaspoon of honey to this water to make it even more potent for pimple removal.
- Avoid if you have any medical condition; first consult with your doctor and then apply on yourself.
- Make sure that you don't overuse this ingredient.
Triphala can fight off pimples and acne from within. Like turmeric, it also has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties that can boost immunity and keep the gut healthy. Such properties make triphala a highly effective treatment in keeping those pimples away.
- All you need to do is mix one teaspoon of powdered Triphala in about 375 ml of water.
- Leave it like that for the night and drink it on an empty stomach in the morning; it will remove all the toxins from your body.
- Make sure you do this at least thrice every week.
- Avoid exceeding the overdosage of this ingredient; it may discomfort your digestive and cause other problems.
Image Source: Pexels
Potatoes have many antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can make pimple marks disappear. If you have acne or pimple marks all over the face, using potato juice can give you clearer skin and even make your skin tone brighter. It contains rich antioxidants like vitamin C, which can help to protect your skin from dirt and cure your pimples. It has a high-water content that can Hydrate your skin.
- Take the juice out of a small potato and apply it to your skin immediately.
- Leave it on for thirty minutes before washing it off.
- You can repeat this daily but remember not to store the potato juice.
- Those who have sensitive skin and feel any discomfort so do not use it.
- Please don't leave it for a long time; use it ASAP.
Manjistha, known as Rubia cordifolia, is a potent ingredient which cures skin problems, including pimples. It gives deep detoxification in the body, which helps to clear the blood, gives clear skin, and balances the body doshas pitta and Kapha.
- Take Manjistha with warm water or as directed.
- Follow the recommended dosage according to your Ayurveda specialist.
- Avoid this ingredient if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or have any other medical problem.
Giloy is a herb highly valued in Ayurveda for its unique properties. It profoundly detoxifies your body, cleanses your blood, removes all toxins from the body, gives clear skin and solves the problem of pimples; it has inflammatory properties that help to reduce the swelling of pimples.
- Before taking this ingredient, make sure that you consult with your Ayurveda practitioner to understand the better duration and dosage and methods of use.
- Take fresh steam of Giloy to rinse with regular tap water and cut the small pieces.
- Dilute that juice in mineral water and add at least two teaspoons.
- You can also consume it in a tablet or powder form, But before that, consult with your Ayurveda specialist.
- Don't take the exceeded dosage of this ingredient; first, consult with any Ayurveda specialist.
1. Can Ayurveda really cure pimples?
Ayurveda offers herbal treatment, which can help to cure and reduce pimples. They focus on understanding the root cause of acne by balancing the body, mind, and spirit. You can fix the acne problem by following the Ayurveda remedies and changing your lifestyle.
2. How long does it take to see results with Ayurvedic treatments?
Consistency is key when it comes to Ayurvedic treatments. If you want quick results, you must put some effort into your lifestyle or diet. You can notice the results in just a few weeks.
3. Which treatment is better for oily skin?
Ayurveda treatments are best for oily skin. Some herbal remedies can be suitable for oily skin, such as Neem, aloe vera, turmeric and sandalwood.
4. Which remedy is suitable for blackheads?
In Ayurveda, several remedies can cure your blackheads, such as besan and yoghurt mixture, honey, sandalwood or aloe vera.
5. Are there any side effects of Ayurvedic treatments for pimples?
When you follow the procedure of Ayurveda treatment under any qualified Ayurveda practitioner is generally safe. Some ingredients may be doesn't suites on your skin and can cause allergies. So it's essential to consult with Practitioner.
6. What are the causes of pimples?
Pimples or acne can occur when you eat packaged and oily food and take excessive amounts of caffeine. Also, if you have PCOD (Polycystic Ovary Disease) or PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome), it is the most common cause of pimples and acne. These hormonal disorders and diseases can disbalance your body and menstrual cycle.
Ayurveda promotes several treatments for the skin, which balances the imbalances of body doshas pitta and Kapha. These natural remedies can fill with unique properties, such as antioxidants and anti-inflammatory, that can cure pimples or acne.
Remember that these ten tips also help you get brighter and clearer skin. So, whether you get pimples frequently or occasionally, trying some treatments will improve your skin.
Dr Kumari Neelam. (2022) - Classical Ayurvedic Management of Acne Vulgaris: A Case Report. Journal of natural and Ayurvedic medicines.