What is Bharangi?
English name: Beetle Killer
Hindi name: Bharangi
Latin name: Clerodendron serratum Moon
Sanskrit name: Bhargi
- A somewhat woody shrub characterized by bluntly quadrangular stems and branches is prevalent in forests across all regions of India, reaching altitudes of up to 1500m.
- Its roots, stems, and leaves are utilized for medicinal purposes. Bharangi is a commonly employed herb in addressing issues such as the common cold, chronic sinusitis, allergic rhinitis, cough, and various chronic respiratory ailments.
- It serves as an effective remedy for dry cough and finds application in Ayurveda for alleviating fever and hyperpyrexia. Bharangi has been the subject of investigation for its antipyretic and antihistamine properties.
10+ Evidence-Based Advantages of Bharangi
Bharangi Health Benefits
Following are some of the well-known benefits of Bharangi:
- Root proves beneficial in conditions such as asthma, cough, and scrofulous affections.
- It is administered during fever and proves effective in addressing sinusitis.
- The juice extracted from the leaves, when combined with ghee, serves as an application for herpetic eruptions and pemphigus.
- The leaves exhibit vermifuge properties and act as a bitter tonic.
- The root, a key component of Brahata panchamool, is in high demand.
- This plant is recognized for its antitoxic, antiseptic, astringent, and styptic qualities.
Bharangi For Skin
Bharangi is believed to contribute to achieving a more radiant complexion. The application of the leaf juice from Bharangi is known to offer relief from skin ailments and boils.
Bharangi For Asthma, Cold, Allergy, Tuberculosis
Bharangi is considered beneficial in handling persistent respiratory conditions, including asthma, by functioning as a mucolytic and aiding in the expulsion of mucus from the lungs. Additionally, it can be employed in addressing common cold, rhinitis, and tuberculosis.
Bharangi For Herpes Infection
Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, bharangi assists in diminishing inflammation, a primary symptom of herpes infection. Moreover, the analgesic effects of bharangi contribute to alleviating pain associated with cold sores.
Bharangi For Headache And Fever
A paste made from bharangi roots can be locally applied to alleviate mild to severe headaches. Its antibiotic properties not only provide relief from elevated body temperature but are particularly beneficial in cases of hyperpyrexia or malaria fever.
Bharangi For Wound Healing
The antiseptic and anti-inflammatory qualities of bharangi aid in eliminating or inhibiting the growth of microbes on the skin and naturally addressing inflammation. Applying a paste made from its leaves to the affected area allows it to act as a rapid wound healer, facilitating the swift healing of non-healing wounds.
Bharangi For Joint Pain And Lymphadenopathy
Numerous disorders related to joints can result in significant pain and discomfort, often limiting the range of motion. Bharangi, functioning as a natural analgesic and anti-inflammatory agent, aids in alleviating both pain and inflammation, thereby enhancing joint mobility. Additionally, it offers relief in cases of lymphadenopathy by diminishing swelling of the lymph nodes.
Bharangi For Worm Infestation
A decoction crafted from the leaves of bharangi proves effective in eliminating and expelling worms, especially those infesting the intestines.
Nutritional Facts of Bharangi
Following are some essential information on the nutrient value of Bharangi:
Quantity per 100g
How Does Bharangi Work for Various Health Issues?
Bharangi's various properties solve health concerns. Its anti-inflammatory properties ease symptoms of joint ailments, while its ability to serve as a natural analgesic improves pain alleviation. The antiseptic and antibacterial properties of Bharangi help to fight skin infections and aid wound healing. It acts as a mucolytic, which helps with respiratory diseases like asthma. Furthermore, the herb's capacity to decrease inflammation and fight microorganisms contributes to its efficacy in treating illnesses ranging from headaches to fever, demonstrating its adaptability in boosting general health and well-being.
Ways To Use Bharangi
The different ways to use Bharangi are:
- Bharangi paste can be used topically
- Bharangi leaves as decoction
- Juice infusion
- Supplement forms like tablets, powder, roots
Bharangi Facts and Myths
Following are some facts and myths on Bharangi to know this herb better:
3 Facts About Bharangi
- Bharangi is a medicinal plant native to the Indian subcontinent.
- It has antiseptic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and antibiotic
- Its roots, leaves, and other parts are employed to formulate remedies for various health conditions.
2 Myths About Bharangi
- Bharangi provides instant cures for different health ailments.
- Bharangi does not have any side-effects
Growing Bharangi at Home
Begin with well-draining soil in a sunny spot to cultivate Bharangi at home. Purchase seedlings or saplings from a nursery. Plant seeds at a depth of 1-2 cm or transplant saplings at a distance of 30 cm. Water the plant on a regular basis, allowing the soil to dry in between. Bharangi enjoys warm weather. During the growth season, apply a balanced fertiliser. Prune to promote bushier growth. Harvest leaves as required, allowing the plant to grow before harvesting heavily. Regular maintenance and a favourable atmosphere are essential for the effective production of Bharangi at home.
Where To Buy Bharangi
Zanducare is a well-known brand that has produced a variety of Ayurvedic products that promote excellent health.
Trusted brands for bharangi
Zanducare's herbal products are among the best for living a holistic lifestyle. All of its products have the benefits of Ayurvedic herbs and have no adverse effects.
This article concludes that Bharangi demonstrates positive outcomes in treating respiratory disorders such as asthma, allergic rhinitis, common cold, and cough, attributed to its mucolytic properties. It also exhibits effectiveness in addressing conditions like joint pain, lymphadenopathy, malaria fever, and worm infestations. No known side effects have been observed; however, it is advisable for pregnant and lactating women to consult a doctor before using Bharangi.
1. Can you consume bharangi with homeopathic medicines?
Yes, you may safely consume bharangi with any homeopathic medicine as it does not react with each other.
2. Can you take it with supplements like omega-3 fatty acids and multivitamin tablets?
This Ayurvedic goes well with any health supplements when consumed in the right dosage and under medical supervision.
3. Is it safe to take bharangi with allopathy medicines?
If you are taking allopathy medicines, consult a doctor before taking bharangi to avoid any unwanted interference.
4. Which parts of this Ayurvedic herb can you consume?
You can consume the roots, bark and leaves of this Ayurvedic herb.
5. Can Bharangi help to reduce fever?
Yes, the anti-pyretic nature of this Ayurvedic herb is extremely helpful in reducing fever.