Ayurvedic Remedies for Piles: Uncover the Causes and Find Relief via Zandu Products
Piles can be uncomfortable and embarrassing, but thankfully there are natural remedies for piles that help bring relief. Discover the causes of piles, learn about different symptoms, and explore Ayurvedic remedies to find the best solution for your needs.
When finding relief from this unpleasant ailment, natural methods can be incredibly beneficial if applied correctly.
What are Piles?
Piles, or hemorrhoids, are a common and uncomfortable problem many suffer from. They’re swollen veins in the rectum and anus caused by increased pressure in the area due to straining during bowel movements, pregnancy, sitting for long periods, or any activity that strains the lower body. Piles can be internal (inside the anus) or external (outside the body).
Symptoms of piles may include bleeding, itching, burning, and pain when sitting or having a bowel movement. Drinking water, fruit juices and soup, can help the fiber in your diet work better. Consuming fluids like water, clear soups, and fruit juices can enhance the efficiency of fiber in your diet.
Symptoms of Piles
There are various symptoms of piles including:
- Pain or discomfort in the anus and rectal area
- Itching around the anal area
- Swelling of the anal veins
- Bleeding during bowel movements, which may be accompanied by mucus discharge
- A lump that you can feel near your anus. This is known as a thrombosed external hemorrhoid and will require medical attention.
Staining, rubbing, or cleaning too much around your anus can worsen your symptoms. Usually, external hemorrhoid symptoms improve within a few days for most people.
Causes of Piles
Piles, or hemorrhoids, are caused by bulging anus and lower rectum veins. Inflamed anal veins can cause discomfort and itching, possibly leading to bleeding. Piles are typically associated with increased pressure in the pelvic area, that can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Straining during bowel movements due to constipation
- Sitting for extended periods on hard surfaces
- A low-fiber diet lacking in fluids
- Weight gain
- Chronic diarrhea
While piles are not necessarily dangerous, they can cause extreme discomfort if left untreated.
Dietary Changes to Combat Piles
If you have been diagnosed with piles, making dietary changes can help reduce the symptoms associated with this condition. Eating a balanced and healthy diet is key; focus on eating fresh fruits, vegetables, as well as whole grains while limiting your intake of processed foods.
Fiber is especially important for people with piles. Eating fiber-rich foods such as beans, oats, lentils, and nuts can help reduce constipation, reducing the pressure on piles. Increasing your fiber intake can help prevent bloating or excessive gas associated with increased fiber consumption.
Another important dietary change for anyone suffering from piles is drinking sufficient water throughout the day to ensure you stay hydrated. This helps soften stools and reduces constipation.
Reducing or eliminating foods which cause inflammation, such as processed meats and fried foods, is also beneficial. Additionally, avoiding certain spices such as chili powder, garlic, and pepper can help reduce the pain and discomfort associated with piles.
Food to Eat
Mentioned below are the different food items that you must eat in piles:
- Fruits: Fruits are an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Eating various fruits in large quantities can give you the nutrients for a healthy diet. This includes apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, berries, and melons - to name a few!
- Vegetables: Eating plenty of vegetables is essential for any balanced diet. Leafy greens like kale and spinach contain vitamins and minerals, promoting good health. Other vegetable options include carrots, potatoes, peppers, and tomatoes – all of which should be eaten in large amounts daily!
- Grains: Whole grains such as oats, quinoa and brown rice are great source of fiber and a great energy source. Eating these foods in large quantities can help keep your blood sugar levels stable. Try adding some grains to salads for a tasty and nutritious meal!
- Legumes: Legumes such as peas, beans, and lentils contain high protein and fiber. They are rich sources of vitamins, minerals as well as antioxidants which can provide various health benefits when eaten regularly. Adding legumes to soups, stews, or casseroles is an excellent way to get more nutrition from your meals!
- Nuts & Seeds: Eating nuts like walnuts and almonds, as well as chia and pumpkin seeds, can provide your body with healthy fats, proteins, and fiber.
Foods to Avoid
Certain food items can worsen the symptoms of piles. Some of these foods include:
- Fried foods - Fried foods can cause constipation, one of the leading causes of piles.
- Spicy foods - Spicy foods can irritate your digestive tract and increase inflammation in your intestines, which could make pile symptoms worse.
- Refined grains and sugar - Processed foods are often stripped of their natural dietary fibers, leading to a decrease in stool bulk which can cause or worsen hemorrhoids.
- Alcoholic beverages - Alcohol consumption can lead to dehydration, contributing to constipation and inflammation of existing piles.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Treating Piles
Triphala is an ancient Ayurvedic herbal blend that consists of three fruits – Amalaki, Bibhitaki, and Haritaki – which are dried and made into a powder. It helps improve digestion by balancing the body’s digestive fire and can be taken as a tea or capsule form.
Guggul is one of the most popular Ayurvedic herbs for treating piles. It helps in relieving inflammation and also supports healthy digestion. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain, swelling, and irritation caused by piles.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which help to reduce swelling and pain caused by the condition.
Ayurvedic Treatments for Piles
1. Bhaishajya chikitsa
Bhaishajya Chikitsa uses herbs and other remedies to improve the blood flow in the anus, reduce swelling and pain, and strengthen the veins in the rectum.
Ksharas are obtained from the ashes of water-soluble herbal drugs and are alkaline substances used in Ayurveda to treat several diseases, including piles. Based on your dosha, you will receive specific medication recommendations to help balance your body during recovery. Making some dietary or lifestyle changes may be necessary to aid in the healing process.
3. Sastra Chikitsa
If you visit an Ayurvedic practitioner, they suggest a treatment called kshara sutra, in which a specially medicated thread is used to tie off the base ofhemorrhoid. This causes hemorrhoid to harden and drop off in several days.
Ayurvedic Diet and Lifestyle Modifications Tips
Mentioned below are some Ayurvedic diet and lifestyle modifications tips for piles:
- Avoid eating foods with high acidity, such as tamarind, citrus fruits, vinegar, etc. Also, avoid processed food items like white flour products and fried snacks at all times.
- Consume more fiber-rich foods like oats, quinoa, millet, kidney beans, mung beans, whole-grain bread, and cereals.
- Have plenty of water daily to keep your body hydrated and promote digestion.
- Exercise regularly to maintain a healthy weight. Avoid strenuous exercises like running, jumping, or contact sports, as they may worsen the condition
- Practice yoga poses like Halasana, Viparita Karani, and Baddha Konasana to improve circulation in the rectal area.
List of Ayurvedic Products offered by Zandu for Piles Relief
1. Arsha Rasayan Vati
Zandu's Arsha Rasayan Vati can provide relief from the discomfort, inflammation, and irritation resulting from hemorrhoids (piles), which may otherwise hinder a healthy lifestyle. It has been created specifically for this purpose, allowing you to return to living your best life.
- Consuming fluids like water, clear soups and fruit juices can enhance the efficiency of fiber in your diet. (NIH)
- If you strain, rub, or clean too much around your anus, it can worsen your symptoms. Usually, external hemorrhoid symptoms improve within a few days for most people. (Medlineplus)
- Fiber is especially important for people with piles (NIH)
- Triphala helps to improve digestion by balancing the body’s digestive fire (NIH)
- Ksharas are obtained from the ashes of water-soluble herbal drugs and are alkaline substances. (NIH)
Frequently Asked Questions
What causes Piles?
The most common cause of piles is straining during bowel movements due to constipation or diarrhoea.
What are the different symptoms of Piles?
Piles may cause several symptoms such as itching, pain, or swelling in the area around the anus. Additionally, a noticeable lump near the anus that is sensitive or painful to touch or bright red blood on toilet paper or in the toilet bowl after a bowel movement may also indicate piles.
What are some Natural remedies for Piles?
Some natural remedies to help relieve the symptoms of piles include taking warm baths, avoiding straining during bowel movements, eating high-fiber foods, drinking plenty of fluids, and exercising regularly. Additionally, some herbal supplements are available that may help relieve the itching and discomfort caused by piles.
Which Ayurvedic herbs can help with Piles?
Several Ayurvedic herbs are effective in treating piles. These include Triphala, neem, turmeric, shunthi, and Vidanga. All these herbs have anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce swelling and discomfort associated with piles. Additionally, they support a healthy digestive system which is key to treating the underlying cause of piles.
What lifestyle changes can I make to reduce my chances of getting Piles?
Some lifestyle changes you can make to reduce your chances of getting piles include: staying hydrated and drinking plenty of water, eating a high-fiber diet (e.g., whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables), exercising regularly, avoiding long periods of sitting or standing and maintaining healthy body weight.
What is the best medicine for Piles and Fissure?
Various medicines and treatments are available for piles, including lifestyle changes, medications, topical creams, and surgery. Common medicines used to treat piles include corticosteroids, nitroglycerin ointments, and hemorrhoid creams. However, if you're looking for Ayurveid solutions, choosing Arsha Rasayan Vati for piles would be best.