What Is Piles?
One of the most common conditions that stops you from sitting comfortably on your bottom is piles or hemorrhoids. Although not very harmful to your health, it does cause a lot of distress. The chances of developing piles increases with increasing age.
The exact cause of the condition is not yet known. However, it is suggested that chronic constipation, chronic diarrhoea, pregnancy, improper diet, overweight or lifting heavy weights can all trigger the onset of symptomatic piles. There are a number of treatments available for piles. In some cases, home remedies and lifestyle modifications are more than sufficient.
Piles is a condition in which the veins of the anus and lower rectum region get inflamed and swollen. Piles occurs when the pressure on the blood vessels, in and around, the anus increases.
On the basis of location, piles is of two types:
1. Internal piles: Piles located above the opening of the anus
2. External piles: Piles located outside the edge of the anus
On the basis of severity, piles is divided into four degrees:
1. First degree- only bleeding, no prolapse
2. Second degree- prolapse but reduces spontaneously
3. Third degree- prolapse and has to be manually reduced
4. Fourth degree- permanently prolapsed